Some of our fondest memories occur on the patio while relaxing with a beverage in hand and good company. Finding a perfect chair that encompasses all the needs of the person(s) sitting in it can challenging, though.
You want a chair that will last a long time, can sturdily hold anyone who sits in it, and of course, is comfortable. Keep reading to find your best patio chair for 2023.
Our Top Picks
Grand Patio 5 Pieces
Outdoor Wicker Bistro Set with Table
Best Swing Chair:
Curved Lounge Chair with Canopy
1. Best Overall: Grand Patio 5 Pieces
This classic is guaranteed to amaze you and won’t leave any surprise why it’s top on this list of best patio chairs.
All four chairs hold up to 300 pounds each and include an integrated rocker system that will promise a smooth rocking motion.
The cushions are fade-resistant and made of an easy-to-clean material. They can also be removed for more challenging stains.
Plus, the included fire table will be sure to leave you mesmerized. The flame is easy to start and adjust, and the component uses only one AA battery.
- Four comfortable rocker chairs with a 32″ fire table
- The sturdy chairs are made from powder-coated steel
- Cushions made from olefin fabric, also known as Polypropylene
- Velcro ties are included with the chairs to help hold them up
- Integrated push-button ignition starts flame easily (1 AA battery required).
- Flame reaches up to 40,000 BTU of heat, and (not included) a standard 20-pound propane tank (not included) is easy to access
- The fire table is made from stainless steel to lengthen the life of the burners
- Holds more weight than many chairs
- Olefin fabric is easy to clean and durable
- Simple to assemble and put together
- Chairs are attractive and cozy
- Powder-coated steel is a long-lasting choice
- The bonus fire table is glorious
- The coating will likely need touch-ups over the years to maintain top quality
- High price point
- Not all pictured items are included (propane tank and lava rocks)
2. Best Budget-Friendly: Outdoor Wicker Bistro Set with Table
This modern set includes the best patio chairs if you’re on a budget, or if you’re looking to spruce up your small patio. Perfect for apartment patios.
Included is a tempered glass table for sharing drinks with friends and family.
The cushions feature a rebound sponge for comfortable sitting.
- 23″L x 23″W x 33″H patio bistro chairs with high-quality rebound sponge cushions
- Powder-coated steel frame and all-weather PE rattan wicker
- 16″L x 16″W x 16″H tempered-glass table included
- All three pieces weigh 35.2 pounds
- The seat and cushion can be removed for easy cleaning
- Cheap, but still good quality
- Easy-to-follow instructions, so assembly should be a breeze
- Great for small spaces
- Unclear on how much weight it can withstand
- Will need to be stored in the winter
3. Best Swing Chair: Curved Lounge Chair with Canopy
Relax and swing in the shade with this hanging curved lounge chair. It comes with a built-in pillow and a removable canopy for ultra-blissful comfort. This is the best patio chair if you’re looking to truly unwind in your outdoor space.
This is a great water-resistant and sun-resistant option for your pool or uncovered patios. Powdered-coated steel will prevent rust, and polyester cushions are resistant to sun and water.
- 73″D x 46″W x 78″ H dimensions overall for chair and canopy
- A light chair supported by a tempered steel cantilever
- 46″ removable polyester canopy
- A set of ergonomic 2″ foam-filled cushions
- Removable headrest
- Powder-coated steel frame for rust resistance
- 265 weight capacity
- Comfort is an understatement
- High-quality materials
- Assembly is straightforward
- A cup holder is not included
- Powder-coated steel needs to be touched up to prevent rust
4. Adjustable Zero Gravity Lounge Chairs with Cup Holder Trays
Are portable patio chairs more of your style? You’ll love this set of adjustable steel zero-gravity chairs, then. You can reap the benefits of zero-gravity chairs on your patio, or fold up the chairs to take with you on your adventures.
This set comes with a removable pillow, two drink holders, a phone support, and a tablet holder. You won’t have to worry about placing your valuables on the ground with these patio chairs.
Best of all, no assembly is required.
- Open dimensions are 32.5″-61″(L) x 25″(W) x 33.5″-44″(H)
- Folded dimensions are 38″(L) x 25″(W) x 6″(H)
- A lockable reclining system with elastic cords to immediately adjust to a person’s weight
- 250-pound weight capacity
- A detachable tray—featuring two cup holders, phone support, and a tablet holder
- Lightweight and foldable
- Removable headrests
- Steel frame and Textilene fabric
- No assembly
- Easy to transport
- Plenty of storage included for stray items
- Does not take up much room in storage
- Zero gravity comfort
- Many color options
- Should not be left in harsh weather
5. Crosley Furniture Griffith Metal Outdoor Chair
Customers adore this classic-styled metal chair. Its sturdy powder-coated steel is built to last.
Also, check out the different colors to match your preferences.
If you love this chair style, the Griffith Collection by Crosley Furniture offers matching furniture to these chairs that you’ll love.
- 22.5″D x 28.5″W x 34.25″H and 250-pound weight capacity
- Powder-coated steel finish
- Easy to assemble
- Many color options
- UV and fade resistant
- Assembly instructions are clear
- Furniture available in the same style set
- Powder-coated steel finish will need touch-ups
- No cushions
6. Oversized Portable Zero Gravity Chairs with Side Table
If you’re needing a heavy-duty chair to support a little more weight, then you’ll love this zero-gravity lounger.
A bungee suspension system, Oxford fabric, and a heavy-duty steel frame ensure this chair is sturdy for long-term use.
Also, connected to the chair is a side table for drinks and phone storage. The chair is portable, so you can bring both your chair and end table with you on trips.
- 30″L x 29″W x 44″H dimensions when fully set up
- Folding size is 29″L x 7.5″W x 37″H
- 21″ seat width; 22″ off-ground height; 29″ back height
- Supports up to 350 pounds
- Bungee suspension system, including oxford fabric and heavy-duty steel frame for sturdiness
- Breathable mesh back connected to padded seats
- Padded pillow for headrest and lumbar support
- A side table is included with a cup holder and phone holder
- Safely supports more weight than most chairs
- Zero gravity benefits
- 12 months of warranty and lifetime customer support
- Should not be left outside during harsh conditions
7. Valerie Outdoor Wicker Swing Chair
This gorgeous wicker swing will have you feeling like you just sat down in a fairytale. Made from polyethylene rattan to ensure durability during all seasons, the swing chair also provides a dazzling appearance.
- Dimensions are 30.75″D x 30.75″W x 57.25″H
- Basket chair featuring a water drop shape
- Cushions are created with a non-porous material for easy spill cleaning
- Elegant appearance that will fit with any existing patio furniture
- Cushions are removable
- Expert assembly is available through Amazon if you don’t have an extra set of hands
- It’s suggested having two people put this chair together
- Cushions are not waterproof, so they need to be removed during heavy rains if the patio is not covered
8. Devoko Rocking Bistro Set with Glass Coffee Table
If you’re looking for a contemporary feel for your outdoor space, you will love this patio chair. Your guests will also appreciate these comfortable rocking chairs.
A tempered glass coffee table is included in this set.
- Two rocking chairs with 28.5″L x 23″W x 36″H dimensions and 330 weight capacity
- Tempered glass table with 17″L x 17″W x 19”H dimensions
- All-weather and UV-resistant rattan
- All pieces together weigh 32 pounds
- Easy assembly
- Beautiful modern set that will match most existing furniture
- Easy to move around
- Rattan cannot withstand the elements as well as resin, so this set will need to be stored during harsh conditions
Buying Guide for the Best Patio Chairs
Ease of Assembly
There’s nothing worse than receiving a chair and not knowing how to assemble it. It’s good to know ahead of time if you will need to hire someone to put your chair together.
Fortunately, Amazon lists assembly ratings. Be sure to check this rating and pay attention to reviews that mention details about assembly. Some chairs that are more complex to put together offer expert assembly you can purchase directly through Amazon.
Pay attention to the materials patio chairs are made from. The best patio chairs will be upfront about the materials they’re made from.
If your patio receives sunlight, look for sun-resistant materials. If you have a pool, or your patio doesn’t have a cover to keep rain from coming in, pay extra special attention to water-resistant materials.
Size and Weight
Patio chairs come in all shapes and sizes, so you’ll absolutely want to know the dimensions of the chair before you buy. Consider how large a chair needs to be for you to feel comfortable.
Think about the weight of the people who will be sitting in the chair. It’s standard for chairs to only hold up to 250 pounds. The best patio chairs will always include how much weight they can handle in their descriptions.
Also, note the space available on your patio. It’d be no fun to have a chair arrive that doesn’t fit on your patio.
Does the chair swivel or rock? Does it swing? Does the chair come with or without arms? Does the chair fold or does it not? Is the chair adjustable?
Ask yourself what features are most important to you before researching the best patio chair to fit your lifestyle.
If you suffer from back pain, the back style of a chair can make all the difference. Some chairs don’t come with backs, and if you’re clumsy like me, you may feel uncomfortable sitting in a backless chair.
When purchasing a chair with a back, consider whether you favor a high back or a low back. Do you prefer a cushioned back or no cushion? How do you feel about pillowed backs?
This is extremely important when purchasing a chair. Look closely at what comes in the box with your new chair. Will you need your own nuts and bolts to assemble the chair, or is everything already included?
Is the chair part of a set? Some patio chairs come with tables and other decorative items.
Note that photos can sometimes be deceiving. The best patio chairs will tell you exactly what components are included in their descriptions.
Frequently Asked Questions About Patio Chairs
What patio chairs last the longest?
You might be confused about what outdoor chair actually lasts the longest. Every retailer claims their chair is the most durable. But is it, really?
In the ever-changing, unpredictable Minnesota weather, your best bet is to purchase teak or aluminum furniture.
Wrought iron patio chairs are also a good choice because they are not easily blown over in gusty winds.
If you’re purchasing a steel chair, seek powdered coated. Powder-coated steel is the best for resisting rust. However, the coating will wear over time, and you will at some point need to re-coat the chair to maintain its quality.
The best sun-resistant and water-resistant materials are nylon and solution-dyed polyester.
Polypropylene fabric is also a popular, durable choice.
What is the easiest patio chair to keep clean?
The easiest patio chairs to keep clean are plastic and metal.
Spray some all-purpose cleaner on your plastic chair, and the patio chair will be like new. Metal is easy to clean with some warm dishwater and a towel.
The easiest fabrics to clean are polyester, leather, and nylon.
What type of patio chair can stay outside all year?
Patio chairs made from aluminum, teak, and polyethylene may stay outdoors all year, even in the harsh Minnesota winters.
Look for polyethylene resin wicker that has been dyed completely as opposed to just painted. Polyethylene resin adds extra strength to a wicker patio chair.
What is a zero-gravity chair?
The goal of a zero-gravity chair is to alleviate back pain and nerve pain by optimizing circulation. Unlike a traditional recliner, your weight is evenly distributed rather than forcing pressure on your lower back and pelvis.
What is the best patio chair for good posture?
Zero-gravity chairs are best for placing your body into a neutral position, which helps your posture in the long term.
Avoid backaches and alleviate sciatica pain by purchasing a zero-gravity chair.
Wrapping up the Best Patio Chairs for 2023
You’re certain to make some unforgettable memories in your new patio chairs. Your friends will love sitting around the Grand Patio or in any of the chairs mentioned above.
For patio inspiration, check out 10 of the Best Patios in Minneapolis.
Looking to upgrade your outdoor spaces at home? Then find inspiration for your Minnesota backyard with our landscaping ideas, outdoor furniture suggestions, gardening recommendations, and more!
Looking for some warm weather recommendations? Discover spring and summer in Minnesota for best destinations, travel recommendations, small (and big!) town events, and more!
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Nicole Kinkade loves taking regular road trips with her family around Minnesota. She especially enjoys visiting the Twin Cities area, where she can often be found hanging out at Mall of America and Como Park. Her favorite Minnesota restaurant is Fat Lorenzo’s!
With a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration and an associate’s degree in Media Communication, Nicole is passionate about sharing her experiences with others through writing. She is currently writing full-time and loves every minute of it.
Nicole can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org