An ice fishing fish finder is an essential tool for any ice fishing trip. Imagine planning an entire ice fishing expedition only to not catch a single fish. That would be a nightmare, right?
Modern electronics will help you avoid that scenario and put you in a great position to go home with a haul of fish good enough for a feast.
Don’t worry, though. We’ve found the best ice fishing fish finders so you don’t have to. Without further ado, let’s dive into the best ice fishing fish finders that money can buy!
Our Top Picks
Garmin Panoptix PS22 Ice Fishing Bundle
Vexilar FL-18 Ice Fishing Bundle
Garmin STRIKER Plus 4 Ice Fishing Bundle
1. Garmin Panoptix PS22 Ice Fishing Bundle
If money is no object and you want all the bells and whistles, then the Garmin Panoptix PS22 Ice Fishing Bundle is the ice fishing fish finder that’ll make your dreams come true.
The bundle brings a mapper, transducer, and a case for protection. It’s not what the bundle brings however, it’s the next-level technology its contents contain that makes this ice fishing fish finder so special.
If high-tech is your thing, Garmin’s offering here will surely live up to your wildest expectations.
- ECHOMAP UHD 73cv touchscreen with 3 different types of sonar allows for accurate detection coupled with ease of use
- The touchscreen allows you to creat customized combos for multiple presentations on the screen at once
- Panoptix PS22-TR Transducer makes for accurate fish spotting unlike any other
- Pre-loaded Lake-Vü gives you incredible detail of more than 18,000 lakes
- A durable case protects its contents while allowing you to keep things organized
- State-of-the-art technology ensures you have everything at your disposal to find and catch fish on your trip
- The case is perfect for protection, which is especially important considering this option isn’t cheap
- Three different sonars and a high-end transducer combine for unparalleled accuracy
- The touchscreen is a welcome addition to any product
- Expensive is an understatement here
2. Vexilar FL-18 Ice Fishing Bundle
This ice fishing flasher is nearly indestructible and designed to do its job in the worst conditions. The Vexilar FL-18 was improved upon by ice fishing legend Dave Genz. Its base design is enough to help anyone better understand the body of water they are on and the fish that are just beneath them.
There are a ton of accessories that you can buy if you want to upgrade your Vexilar experience, you can add on everything from a battery status indicator to a rod holder. There are a ton of accessories designed just for this unit.
The box fits on top of a 5-gallon bucket which gives you a much better view so that you can view this ice fishing flasher to help determine things like the depth of the lake you are on, if there are fish in the area, or how deep your bait is getting.
Its standout feature is the Zoom which allows for even better clarity in water depths greater than 30 feet. This makes a huge difference when fish are interacting with your bait below that depth.
The LED readout is very bright, which makes reading even on bright days much easier. For power, the unit comes with 12V 9 AMP hour battery. The Vexilars built-in transducer holder is large enough to hold any size transducer.
You can lock on the bottom and get readings on lakes as deep as 200 feet or as shallow as 20.
- Highly durable
- Fits atop a 5-gallon bucket
- Super bright LED readout
- Low power mode
- Takes time to learn the zoom
3. Garmin STRIKER Plus 4 Ice Fishing Bundle
The Garmin STRIKER Plus 4 Ice Fishing Bundle is our pick for the best overall ice fishing fish finder. The bundle includes a top-of-the-line fishfinder, a case to protect it from the elements, and a transducer for excellent accuracy.
The best part about it all? Garmin has made this product incredibly easy to use with simple buttons that get straight to the point.
An ice fishing fish finder that has all the best tech, is easy to use, and from a brand with an excellent reputation makes this one an easy choice at the top of the list.
- 4-color fishfinder for easy use and understanding of the fish’s location
- Dual-beam ice fishing transducer combined with sonar results in extremely accurate fish detection
- Built-in quick mapping to keep track of spots
- A durable case protects the ice fishing fish finder from the weather and keeps everything organized
- The combination of the transducer and sonar makes for incredible accuracy
- Excellent battery life so you don’t have to worry about it failing on your fishing excursion
- Comes with a case to protect the product
- Ease of use makes this a great choice for all levels of ice fishing experience
- Trades simplicity for a lack of innovative features
4. Deeper PRO+ Smart Sonar
The Deeper PRO+ Smart Sonar is the perfect ice fishing fish finder for the modern angler. The reason why is because this incredible product is a sonar, and your smartphone is the finder!
We can go on and on about how only needing to bring a phone and sonar ball makes life a million times easier, but you don’t need us to tell you that everything is more convenient if it connects to your phone.
Smartphone connectivity isn’t the only thing the Deeper PRO+ does. It also has a ton of features that make it a formidable choice on this list.
- Able to be cast out to more than 300 feet away and is able to scan into 200 feet of depth
- Built-in GPS allows you to keep track of everything on your phone
- Cloud capabilities enable you to save all your past fishing trips so you never lose a spot
- Could also be attached to a boat
- Rechargeable battery
- Being able have your finder on your smartphone is great for portability
- Battery lasts about 7 to 8 hours, which means the odds of it dying on you are low
- Cloud-based system means you can access your data across any platform, which is great for trip planning and spot tracking
- The sonar gives a very detailed view of the fish and the seafloor
- If you’re phone runs out of battery, it’s useless
5. LUCKY Portable Fish Finder
The complete opposite of our last choice, the LUCKY Portable Fish Finder is an incredible choice if you’re not looking to break the bank for an ice fishing fish finder.
As the cheapest option on this list, this ice fishing fish finder is an absolute steal! It’s lightweight and portable and is of great quality. This combination of qualities is something that’s rarely ever found in any product.
LUCKY’s offering is also loaded with features that make it an attractive choice to any ice angler looking to have a successful expedition.
- The LCD screen can illustrate temperature, seafloor contour, water depth, and even the fish’s size
- Operational up to 26 feet while wired and has and depth detection capability of more than 300 feet
- Rechargeable and has 5 hours of battery per charge
- Customizable settings allow you to adjust the interface of the finder to your liking
- Comes with a bracket attachment so you can attach it to a boat or kayak
- The LCD coupled with the customizable settings allows you to get exactly what you want out of your ice fishing fish finder
- Outstanding detection for a portable machine
- The bracket gives the finder versatility so you can use it for more than just your ice fishing trip
- Portability makes it easy to pack and bring anywhere
- The 5-hour battery while decent leaves a lot to be desired
- A wired cord connection means that the detection can only go so far relative to where you are
6. LUCKY Wireless Handheld Fish Finder
Lucky’s second appearance on this list, the LUCKY Wireless Handheld Fish Finder is yet another great offering from the company at a decent price.
This finder comes with a transducer that can be both wireless and wired depending on what you intend to use it for. Overall, this product is everything an ice fishing fish finder should be: reliable, filled with features, and affordable.
This option is also a handheld option, which is great for portability.
- Waterproof capabilities allow you to use this finder even when it’s raining
- Tracks the depth and the size of the fishes
- When the transducer is in wired mode it can detect fish in more than 300 feet of depth, and it can detect more than 100 feet when in wireless mode
- Transducer sonar comes with a lamp for visibility at night
- Battery lasts up to 6 hours
- The fact it’s waterproof means you can use this in a wide range of conditions
- The transducer is extremely capable of tracking fish at very deep depths
- Wireless and wired capabilities increase its versatility
- The fish size tool is useful for knowing the quality of fish you’ll catch
- The battery life is shorter than others on this list
- The transducer and finder charge separately meaning more cables
7. MOOCOR Underwater Fishing Camera with DVR
Probably the most intriguing option on this list, this is a video ice fishing fish finder. The MOOCOR Underwater Fishing Camera enables you to actually see the fish you are trying to catch.
A bit of a different kind of finder for sure, but it’s definitely no slouch. It’s also a cool experience for your kids if you bring them along as they can see the fish live on screen.
MOOCOR’s finder is a competent fish finder with an interesting twist, and a worthwhile addition to your ice fishing setup.
- Portable LCD screen with a sunvisor allows you to see what the camera sees in real time
- The camera lens has HD resolution and comes with 3 LED lights for nighttime visibility
- The camera can also work with low lighting
- The screen comes with a backlight for visibility
- The finder supports photography and recording
- You can actually see the fish you want to catch before you catch it
- Has a built in memory card so you can save videos and photos
- Sun visor allows you to see the screen without the worry of glare
- At the end of the day a camera is a camera, and a sonar detector will always work better at night
8. Lowrance Hook Reveal 5 Splitshot C-Map
The Lowrance Hook Reveal 5 splitshot C-Map is our last fish finder, but don’t let its position on the list fool you into thinking it can’t compete with the best of them.
This ice fishing fish finder is incredibly capable and has everything you could possibly need from you finder on your trip. There are also multiple versions of this product, but we chose to go with the 5 splitshot version with preloaded inland maps.
Pre-loaded inland maps are just more handy for an ice angler, thus making it the easy pick. Having inland maps built in isn’t the only thing that makes this ice fishing fish finder stand-out, it also has some great features.
- FISHREVEAL combines sonar with high quality resolution imaging to create an accurate rendering of what’s going on below the surface
- Comes pre-loaded inland maps of about 4,000 lakes in the United States
- Has a transducer for deeper depth detection
- Auto-tuning sonar adjusts itself automatically to its environment so you don’t have to worry about anything while you fish
- The finder is incredibly accurate combining three different technologies
- Having detailed maps of 4,000 lakes in the US makes it viable anywhere
- The self-tuning sonar is convenient if you vary your fishing locations a lot
- 5-inch screen is an ample size and illustrates everything you need to see underwater
- Not very portable
- Has an expensive price tag compared to the rest of the list
What to look for In Your Ice Fishing Fish Finder
There are plenty of things you should keep an eye out for when you shop for your ice fishing fish finder.
Here’s what we looked for while we compiled our list so you can have a better idea of what to be aware of when shopping.
What use is an ice fishing fish finder if it can’t tell you where the fish are with accuracy? Not much. You purchase an ice fishing fish finder to find your fish. That is the whole point.
Certain technologies are key to look for, mainly transducers and sonars. The better these two things work in tandem, the better the accuracy of the finder.
There are also different sorts of finders that have a unique approach to accuracy. Namely, these are video ice fishing fish finders. These products use cameras to spot your fish.
In order for one to be good, the camera has to be good and be able to work in low-light conditions. If it can do that, then it’s also a nice option if you want something different from the norm.
Nobody wants to carry around a heavy item everywhere they go. Naturally, an ice fishing finder loses its value if taking it with you is more of a burden than anything else.
Of course, there’s different levels of portability. There are handheld and portable options that are slightly larger than the former. There are also slightly larger options that can be carried in a case or are just easy to stuff in a bag.
Overall, as long as you’re not carrying a weighty block around with you, the ice fishing finder should be fine to take with you. If you don’t think people make huge ice fishing fish finders these days, you’ll be surprised at what you find.
The brand making your products matters. It’s not everything sure, but it does matter. Especially when it comes to ice fishing finders as they are high-tech instruments with many components that need to work smoothly.
Not just any brand can make such a detailed and intricate product. It’s the kind of thing that requires a name you can trust and who you know is dedicated to producing a quality ice fishing fish finder.
Some brands we like are Garmin, Lucky, Lowrance, and Deeper. These brands are known for creating top-quality finders you can rely on for your ice fishing expeditions.
Lastly, you have to make sure your ice fishing finder will last you for the long haul. The last thing you need is a finder that’s going to break at the slightest drop of water or if it falls from your hands
There are ways companies mitigate this issue without touching the product itself (like Garmin’s cases), but for the most part, if it’s waterproof or fall-proof, that’s a plus.
Keep in mind, though, that most products don’t explicitly say it but do feature it if you look for it.
Enhance Your Ice Fishing Expedition With an Ice Fishing Fish Finder!
Ice fishing fish finders are the kind of product that can save your entire trip from catastrophe. Knowing where the fish are is a game changer that’ll yield instant results.
There are important things to keep in mind when purchasing an ice fishing fish finder, such as durability, accuracy, brand, etc., but as long as you’re a diligent shopper, you’ll find the ideal ice fishing fish finder for your trip, no problem!
We hope that our list of the best ice fishing fish finders has helped you find the product you’re looking for. Want to learn more about fishing, discover more fishing spots, and or read up on the best fishing gear? Then continue your fishing adventure with our comprehensive guides, info posts, and more!
Need some more Minnesota gear? Trust our recommendations to guide your next shopping trip!
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Born in Madelia, MN, to a now 5-generation Minnesota family, Ryan’s MN roots go deep.
A painter by day, Ryan founded Life in Minnesota in 2013 with his wife Kelly to chronicle their musings on everything Minnesota. Ryan and Kelly are raising their 7 kiddos in Maple Grove, MN.
When he’s not shuttling his kids around to hockey practice, you might find him in the shop working on his leatherwork. Undoubtedly, there will be a family trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area every summer, and of course weekends at Grandpa’s cabin up north in the summer.