As a woman I can tell you that I am not alone when I say; my hair means a lot to me. I would have a really hard time not having my hair. Two years ago my daughter and I grew our hair really long because we wanted to cut it for Locks of Love. Locks of Love is a non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss. Makes you think your life isn’t so bad when there are children who are super sick.
I found out that Simonson’s Salon & Spa in Maple Grove will give you a FREE haircut and style when you donate your hair to Locks of Love. They even mail in your hair for you. There are some guidelines you need to follow.
Guidelines for Locks of Love and Simonson’s Salon & Spa
Note: This offer is available Mondays-Wednesdays from 8am-3pm. All appointments must be booked online.
- Hair that is colored or permed is acceptable. (some organizations will not allow that).
- Hair that has been bleached (this refers to highlighted hair) is not usable. If unsure, ask your stylist. We are not able to accept bleached hair due to a chemical reaction that occurs during the manufacturing process. **If the hair was bleached years ago and has completely grown out it is fine to donate.
- We cannot accept dreadlocks, wigs, falls, hair extensions or synthetic hair. The manufacturer is not able to use them in their children’s hairpieces.
- Layered hair is acceptable if the longest layer is 10 inches.
- Layered hair may be divided into multiple ponytails.
- Curly hair may be pulled straight to measure the minimum 10 inches.
- 10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length needed for a hairpiece.
First, the stylist combs out your hair and puts it into a ponytail.
Next, she measures from the top of the ponytail to the bottom of the ponytail to ensure it is 10 inches long.
Then she snips it off at the top of the rubber band. Bye Bye long hair.
Lastly, they cut your hair into a very cute style. I loved Mikaela’s short hair cut.
When we were all done we felt great about helping kids in need. Plus, we looked super cute.
Thank you to Simonson’s Salon & Spa in Maple Grove for your kindness. I also am so thankful for Locks of Love. What an amazing thing you have put together. I was thrilled to be a small part of helping someone in need.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Hi! My name is Kelly and I run Life In Minnesota with my husband, Ryan.
My vision for LIM is that it shares engaging stories of unique Minnesotans and that it’s considered a wonderful resource that helps make every life in MN more awesome!
I can be reached at email@example.com